Why “MOMENTS” is the word of 2018
Each year, on the 1st of January, I have a tradition, like most people, to set goals for the upcoming year. My goals include work goals, life goals, travel goals and a whole bunch more. But this year, 2018, I made a conscious decision at the beginning of this year to focus on living out moments rather than goals in the traditional sense.
I took on challenges I didn’t think possible... I ran a race at 3222 metres above sea level through Lesotho, I walked 945 kilometers across Spain, I canoed 85 kilometers down the Fish River with rapids reminding me of mother nature’s wrath, I ran an ultra-marathon through from the base of the Drakensburg to the source of the Tugela, I started a trail running brand to live out my entrepreneurial dreams and was lucky enough to watch my best friend marry the man of her dreams and raise their beautiful baby girl. I worked with numerous national sports teams on groundbreaking campaigns and experienced a once in a lifetime opportunity to travel to Wales to watch the Springboks live.
These experiences have taught me more than I have learnt in 30 years of being on this earth, and as I look back on all these adventures of 2018, I realize I’ve learnt the biggest lesson yet, and that is to LIVE 100% IN THE MOMENTS YOU COMMIT YOURSELF TO. I’ve learnt to stop acting like life is a dress rehearsal and worrying about what has happened or is going to happen. The past is gone, and the future is yet to happen. You don’t have a whole lot of control over what happens to you in it, but there is only one time and place where you can have any control over and that is the PRESENT MOMENT!
Some quick, simple 2018 advice:
1. Do what you love and do it often! Life can be shitty and tough at times, so you need to find ways to keep yourself happy. Find something(s) that brings the sparkle to your eyes and do it as often as you possibly can!
2. Stop over thinking about where you “should be”, because, whatever happens, happens and at the end of the day, 98% of your problems would be solved if you just realized that life if simple and calmed the f**k down.
3. Stop living for the NEXT BEST THING, because worrying about it means missing out on everything where you are right now. Monday mornings are not going anywhere, so don’t let Monday ruin your Sunday. The distance of a trail run isn’t going to change, so stop counting the kilometers and enjoy the views. Spending 5 minutes extra finding out about a persons’ passion might inspire a dream in you that you never knew existed!
4. Single task... Whether it’s going for a beer with a friend without being distracted by your phone or other thoughts or focusing 100% on a proposal you need to submit, or anything else, be fully engaged with one thing at a time. You’ve committed your time to that moment, so use it wisely because you will never get it back.
5. And finally, don’t take things (or yourself) too seriously. It’s easy to get wrapped up in things, most of which will never come into reality. What may seem like a huge problem right now you may not even remember in 3 years, so keep a sense of humor and realize that you don’t have problems, you have situations, all of which can be taken care of with a deep breath and a starting point.
So, I say go out, stop spending so much time worrying about bond payments, or how many mails are in your inbox, or how many calories you’ve burned that day. I say commit EARN your memories by committing 100% to the moment you are currently in, whether it is work, fitness, social or spirituality.
Find happiness through the moments that your feet are placed RIGHT NOW and make 2019 the best year yet!
Have a great December break everyone!